Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions


Well, it's that time of year again. Time to promise to better, do more, and make ourselves better people. I usually dread this time of year because somehow I always end up feeling like a miserable failure because my previous year's resolutions seem to have been put on the back burner for whatever reason. Well, I am determined this year is going to be different! It's time to make resolutions for myself and stick to them because I know they are going to make a better me, a better mom and a better wife. These are for no one else but me. Selfish? Perhaps. But I feel like it's something I need to do in order to be the best person, mom and wife I can be. So without further ado, here they are:


1. Get healthy. Now this is an all encompassing resolution. I need to lose weight- BADLY. We aren't just talking about 50 or even 100 pounds here either. Although these would be a great start! But there are so many other things besides just losing weight. I need to eat healthier, exercise, and learn to accept my body the way it is-regardless of size.


2. Become a better role model for my children. Part of this is included in the resolution above. I know that if I become healthier, my family will in the process. I want to be more nurturing and take time out for the things that matter like playing cars or riding bikes. So what if the next blog post doesn't get written or the next deal is missed? It's the little things that count.


3. Make time for my husband. We have 3 children. We have a special needs child. We have little time that is childless. These are all excuses. We must make time. I would like to have at least one "date" night per week with my husband to talk about us, about intellectual things, about the weather, anything but the kids. Now, I don't mean that to sound as horrible as it does, but the majority of our time is spent discussing the kids. And while I know that's our duty as parents, we also need a little time.


4. Find a doctor that can help us with Seth- his diagnosis, his medications, his behaviors in general. We NEED a definitive diagnosis and we really needed it yesterday. I am determined to find someone that can finally help us get what we need for him. With that, much of our family stress will resolve.


5. Take a class, any class. In my role as mom and wife I've somehow lost or forgotten who I am and sometimes I feel completely inadequate as a person. I really think that being able to get out of the house and stretch my mind occasionally would do me the world of good. Sometimes I just feel stupid. Do you know what I mean? Maybe it's just "mommy brain," but whatever it is, I don't like it.


Well, those are the top 5. There are more I would like to accomplish, but I feel this is a good starting point for me. If anyone has any constructive advice, I would love to hear it, especially about weight loss. I plan to post about accomplishing these goals throughout the year as well so that you may see my progress!

3 comments:

"J" on January 8, 2009 at 8:40 AM said...

Great post!!!!!! =)

I don't have kids - I could sooooooooooooooooooo see you needing a date night!!!!! Can yall get a sitter and maybe go to dinner? Good Luck with that!

I joined weight watchers yesterday! My goal is 20 pounds in 7 weeks! I want to drop 20 pounds before the cruise/wedding!

Good Luck on your weight loss!!!! Maybe we can help each other out along the way!!!

I'm stopping beer, soda and sweet tea at least until the cruise! Water only!

I'm also going to cut out the fast food lunches each and everyday! If I do resort to fast food I will get a healthy salad!

Oh and we are trying to cut out dinner! Shad is doing a slim fast and rice pudding! I'm eating a small soup and bagel!

Diane on January 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM said...

Good for you J! I know you can do it! I'm cutting out sodas too and that is sooo hard for me! I love my Dr. Pepper! We'll get there together!

CPA Mom on January 8, 2009 at 11:40 AM said...

Hi Diane - here from "J" - I was wondering if we could email talk about special needs...I have a child too...going through diagnosis stuff right now too...floundering...